Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people whoโ€™ve been there
  •   People who understand what youโ€™re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMigraineTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyMigraineTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ

We will proceed to this type of block next. Our goal is to reduce the level of the troublesome pain on the left side. I have been told that if the pain level cannot be reduced, my specialist will share guidance for how to further manage my care in a second pain-free maintenance plan. We'll discuss it in further detail when the time comes.

I was wondering if anyone has had an occipital nerve block? Thank you for sharing this information with me.

December 15, 2024
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences with occipital nerve blocks for managing head pain, with most reporting positive outcomes including complete... Read more

Members shared their experiences with occipital nerve blocks for managing head pain, with most reporting positive outcomes including complete numbness for several hours and significant pain reduction lasting beyond the initial treatment. Several members described their paths when nerve blocks alone weren't sufficient, including monthly Emgality injections which one member called the best solution so far, and the Reed Procedure using leads on occipital and temporal nerves which another member said worked beautifully. A recurring theme was that results can vary depending on the provider and individual response, but many found meaningful relief through these interventions, offering hope and practical next steps for managing chronic head pain.

A MyMigraineTeam Member

How did it work for you?

January 5, 2025
A MyMigraineTeam Member

I posted an update as the Nerve Block Injection has been complete as of this morning.

December 30, 2024
A MyMigraineTeam Member

I now am getting shots once a month the drug is called Emgality 120Mg/ML. I had a ruff month called and talked to Dr she said sometime the migraine can be more severe and if it continues she will look into another solution. However this drug has been the best so far. Blessings to you and your journey

December 29, 2024
A MyMigraineTeam Member

I have I did not feel anything completely numb for 8 hours

December 27, 2024
A MyMigraineTeam Member

I personally haven't had a nerve block yet; but the clinic I work at has many people coming in for occipital and/or trigeminal neuralgia. There's a lot of people who've had long-term success with the nerve blocks. But if nerve blocks and medication isn't keeping it in check, the a provider might consider surgical options.
I'm not a provider; just a clinic staff sharing my observations on this subject.

Hope you find it somewhat helpful ๐Ÿ’•

December 15, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyMigraineTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
New York Mills, MN

A MyMigraineTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Hudson, NC

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In