Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMigraineTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyMigraineTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cypress, TX

Have had Status Migrainosus since Wednesday after coming off Neurontin. I only took 300mg 1x a day, but my neuro wanted me off because it wasn't serving a purpose.

December 16, 2024
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members responded to someone experiencing status migrainosus after abruptly stopping Neurontin, with the overwhelming consensus being that... Read more

Members responded to someone experiencing status migrainosus after abruptly stopping Neurontin, with the overwhelming consensus being that tapering off slowly rather than stopping cold turkey is essential to avoid withdrawal symptoms like severe headaches and anxiety. Several members shared their own experiences with running out of gabapentin or stopping suddenly, describing terrible anxiety, headaches, and neuropathy flare-ups that taught them to never skip doses again. The community offered practical advice including gradually extending time between doses or stepping down more slowly if symptoms appear, while celebrating when the original poster found relief with Aimovig and their neurologist agreed to delay stopping other medications until migraines stabilized.

MyMigraineTeam

Abruptly stopping Neurontin (Gabapentin) can lead to withdrawal symptoms, even at lower doses like 300mg daily. Symptoms may include headaches, nausea, anxiety, or worsening migraines. Status migrainosus could be related to withdrawal. It's crucial to consult your neurologist about tapering off Neurontin gradually to avoid Show Full Answer

Abruptly stopping Neurontin (Gabapentin) can lead to withdrawal symptoms, even at lower doses like 300mg daily. Symptoms may include headaches, nausea, anxiety, or worsening migraines. Status migrainosus could be related to withdrawal. It's crucial to consult your neurologist about tapering off Neurontin gradually to avoid such issues. For more details, visit: [Neurontin (Gabapentin) for Migraine](https://www.MyMigraineTeam.com/treatments/neuro...).

December 16, 2024
A MyMigraineTeam Member

Took my Aimovig this morning. Feeling so much better, already. I just need to follow-up with my doctor because he wrote a new prescreption to put me on a higher dose. 140mg/1mL of Aimovig. Plus, I'm out, now.

December 22, 2024
A MyMigraineTeam Member

@A MyMigraineTeam Member, I came off of it last Wednesday. I was only taking 1 pill- 300mg. I have plenty of pills left. My Neuro didn't have a plan for titrating me off of it.

December 16, 2024 (edited)
A MyMigraineTeam Member

I did once when I lost my health insurance, but I was also stopping all medications at that time.

Try to cut back instead. How many pills do you have left?

December 16, 2024
A MyMigraineTeam Member

Wonderful news Brent! Sounds like the Aimovig really works for you!
I'm trying to schedule an appointment to get the Botox shots on 1/28/25 instead of Emgality. Emgality really worked for me but I've had terrible stomach issues and don't want to continue it. The next shot would have been 12/26 so I have to wait another month for botox.
How are your holidays going? I've done all my Christmas shopping, just have to finish wrapping.
Happy Holidays! ☃️

December 22, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyMigraineTeam Member asked a question 💭
Spokane, WA

A MyMigraineTeam Member asked a question 💭
Miamisburg, OH

A MyMigraineTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cypress, TX

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In