Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyMigraineTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
April 30, 2025
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared mixed experiences with occipital nerve block injections for chronic headaches and migraines, with some finding significant... Read more

Members shared mixed experiences with occipital nerve block injections for chronic headaches and migraines, with some finding significant relief while others saw no improvement despite multiple attempts. Several members emphasized that the injections are considerably more painful than Botox, using larger needles and causing intense burning for about 15 seconds, though one member shared a helpful tip to squeeze a stress ball during the procedure to manage the discomfort. A recurring theme was persistence in the face of frustration, with members encouraging each other to keep trying despite insurance denials and failed treatments, acknowledging that everyone responds differently and hope remains essential.

A MyMigraineTeam Member

Yes, I’ve had them before you can get them every 3 months. They are indeed painful while the injections are being done but once done the pain is gone just to be forewarned it is not like Botox injections…it is much more painful to administer

Hugs to ya!
Rita J

April 30, 2025
A MyMigraineTeam Member

I had a nerve block and it sadly made no difference

June 8, 2025
A MyMigraineTeam Member

Yes, I have had several and they did not work, just like everything else I have tried.

April 30, 2025
A MyMigraineTeam Member

Yes and success! I have had about 7 or 8 injections on each side of my head (occipital nerve). It is painful. However. I have a trick. Grab a squeeze ball or ask the Dr if they have any drug rep freebies (small brains, etc). This helps so much to have something to squeeze the crap out of. The injection is quick and only burns for about 15 seconds! Done! You are numb for several hours to 1/2 of a day. This is great. I have really gotten a lot of relief. I hope this helps😌

July 1, 2025 (edited)
A MyMigraineTeam Member

My appeal was denied so nothing new to try. I’m so frustrated.

June 24, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyMigraineTeam Member asked a question 💭
Amarillo, TX

A MyMigraineTeam Member asked a question 💭
Chatsworth, ON

A MyMigraineTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hudson, NC