Vestibular migraines are more common than many people realize — they're actually the most common cause of episodic vertigo! Many MyMigraineTeam members have shared their experiences with this type of migraine.
One MyMigraineTeam member shared: "When I have a vestibular migraine, I have nonstop dizziness with bouts of Show Full Answer
Vestibular migraines are more common than many people realize — they're actually the most common cause of episodic vertigo! Many MyMigraineTeam members have shared their experiences with this type of migraine.
One MyMigraineTeam member shared: "When I have a vestibular migraine, I have nonstop dizziness with bouts of spinning vertigo, tinnitus in my left ear, and mild head pain. I just started getting these in my 50s."
Another MyMigraineTeam member wrote: "I'm feeling frustrated because my vestibular migraine symptoms have gotten in the way of being able to enjoy myself around my friends."
So you're definitely not alone in navigating this! Regarding rizatriptan — it's actually a triptan, a class of medications that is commonly used to treat vestibular migraines, including for pain relief during an attack. So it may be more helpful than what was read.
That said, if vestibular migraines are frequent, doctors may also consider preventive medications, such as:
- Beta blockers (e.g., propranolol)
- Calcium channel blockers (e.g., amlodipine)
- Antidepressants (e.g., amitriptyline or nortriptyline)
- Anticonvulsants (e.g., topiramate)
It's always worth discussing any concerns about a prescribed medication directly with a doctor or headache specialist, as they can tailor treatment to specific symptoms and history.
3 days ago