"Yesterday was my birthday, and I think I overdid it, but I’m glad I did. I’m so happy to have enjoyed hanging out with my best friend and my family. I’m just glad I did something outside my room. Today I’m not feeling so good, but I have nothing to do but rest and relax." - A member on MyMigraineTeam
On MyMigraineTeam, the social network and online support group for those living with migraines, members talk about a range of personal experiences and struggles. Hiding migraine symptoms is one of the top 10 topics most discussed.
Here are some conversations about hiding symptoms:
- Today was okay. Not great but not horrible. It is as always exhausting, trying to always smile and pretend to be happy and pain free when I am tired, hurting and want to scream! Got through another day and am waiting for sleep so I can muster up some more energy to get through another day!
- I've been trying to keep myself busy so I don't think about my pain from my migraines. I try to keep myself busy so I don't think about my depression, that has gotten worse, my anxiety is off the charts. My mood swings are insane. Most days I don't even want to be around myself. I get so tired of faking my smiles, tired of lying every time someone asks me if I'm okay. It gets old hearing myself say out loud that I'm hurting. There has to be something out there that can fix me. Thank you for allowing me to express myself.
- I'm so tired of it and frustrated because I don't know what to do and can't go on like this. It's to stressful and I'm behind on bills from not working. I also feel like some people act like I'm faking and just don't want to work...I've always worked and I actually like my job.
- The other day, when I was having a particularly bad day, lying in bed with my head splitting open, I was having that negativity loop going round and round playing back all the things my husband had said to me that felt insensitive. And I found myself feeling more and more sorry for myself having a husband who just didn't understand how hard things were for me, a teacher, having to work with young children even when my head was pounding and I felt like vomiting with every movement.
- Can I say I'm so sick and tired of being put off by everyone, treated badly and horribly? Oh yeah, a coworker yesterday had the gall to say "but you don't look like you're in pain". Oh I wanted to smack her into next year... but I just said "I'm just good at hiding it you know" like I really am. Because they all at work don't care at all.
Can you relate?
Have another topic you'd like to discuss or explore? Go to MyMigraineTeam today and start the conversation. You'll be surprised just how many others may share similar stories.
Feel free to ask a question here.